instagram

April 8, 2012

The art of urban sketching...

"Because we took the time to create it, instead of snapping a photo in an instant, the sketch has the power to bring back much sharper memories."




In today's Seattle Times, find this article about local artist Gabi Campanario, Mr. Urban Sketcher himself,  the Urban Sketchers worldwide community, and his book, The Art of Urban Sketching. As soon as I heard that these many of the fabulous sketches I've been admiring and following for so long are compiled into one big book, well, of course, I had to have one. If you love sketching or just like to admire what others do, I recommend finding a copy. It's a very large collection of real talent. As an added bonus, these artists freely give lots of tips, techniques, and advice, as well as share the materials they used to create the piece. And, of course, it's a Wannabe World Traveler's visual vicarious paradise

I do love sketching city life, but find it very challenging to do on the spot, and I rely on photos (except for sketching people at coffee shops!)  I would like to get better at the real thing. It's on my list.  It is oh so true that the memories are more vivid when one has drawn or painted. As I look back at drawings I've made on my travels, or even in a leisurely afternoon around my city, I recall so easily the experience and the moment. One of the reasons I love to pick up my journals and browse often.
Share:

No comments

© DIANE MOLINE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig